Thursday, December 24, 2009
STAINED GLASS WINDOW COOKIES
* 2/3 cup butter
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 eggs
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/3 cup milk
* 40 fruit flavored hard candies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with foil.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in vanilla and eggs.
3. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture alternately with milk.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough 1/4 inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut dough into desired shapes. Using a smaller cookie cutter or a knife, cut shapes into centers of cookies, reserving these center bits to add into extra dough.
5. Keeping the colors separate, place candy in plastic bags and crush with a hammer. Use a spoon to sprinkle the crushed candy into the hollowed-out centers of the cookies, filling to the edges. Try to keep the candy within the centers. Any candy specks that fall on the cookie will color the cookie.
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until candy is just melted. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, until candy is hard. Carefully lift cookies off baking sheet with spatula.